Please note this is NOT the RICS Complaints Section


The RICS requires all members who are sole principals, partners or directors of firms that offer surveying services to the public, to have in place a complaints handling procedure meeting an agreed minimum standard.

In the unlikely event that you are dissatisfied with the service you have received from an individual member of the RICS or a surveying firm where at least one partner or director is a member of the RICS, you should ask for details of their complaints handling procedure and the individual appointed to manage complaints.

We set out below the procedure that The Rural and Urban Planning Consultancy will follow in dealing with any complaint:

1. Ian Butter BSc FRICS MRTPI will deal with any complaints you may have. If you have a question or if you would like to make a complaint, please don’t hesitate to contact him via the following contact points:- 

Telephone: 07860-684604 

Email: ianbutter@ruralurbanplanning.co.uk

        Address:    121, Abbey Road, South Shore, Blackpool, FY4 2PY

2. If you have initially made your complaint verbally – whether face-to-face or on the phone – please also make it in writing, addressed to Ian Butter BSc FRICS MRTPI at the address provided above.

3.  Once we have received your written complaint, Ian Butter will contact you in writing within seven* days. At this stage he will give you his understanding of your case. He will also invite you to make any further comments that you may have in relation to this.

4. Within twenty-one* days of receipt of your written summary, Ian Butter will write to you, to inform you of the outcome of his investigation into your complaint and to let you know what actions will be taken.

5. If you remain dissatisfied with any aspect of the internal handling of your complaint, the regional office of the RICS may be able to recommend a third party from a local practice to undertake an independent assessment on your behalf within an agreed timescale. Alternatively (or in addition) we can discuss whether we can agreed to go to mediation according to either the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) or the mediation process run by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

6. If you are still unhappy with the result of any of the above, for consumers you can refer your complaint to the Surveyors Ombudsman Scheme at PO Box 1021, Warrington, WA4 9FE; or online at:

* The time limits are recommendations, to ensure that complaints are dealt with promptly. 

If you remain unhappy about the way in which your complaint is being handled you should contact the RICS Professional Conduct team who will ensure your complaint is dealt with correctly.

RICS Professional Conduct
PO Box 2291
CV4 8ZJ 

T: + 44 (0)870 333 1600

RICS Information:-